Making Strong Bricks and Blocks Is Easy
To ensure the strongest cement bricks /blocks, you need to use a power-packed cement like PPC SUREBUILD 42,5 N in the brick making process . This PPC Cement product has extra strength and yields more cement bricks than regular class 32,5 general purpose cements. With it you will achieve more for less!*
*For more details on comparative mixes, see the Affordable Housing page.
What Sort of Site Do I Need?
When starting the brick making process , first select a site that:
- Is close to your customers.
- Is close to your supplier of PPC SUREBUILD 42,5 N and river sand.
- Is accessible for delivery trucks if necessary.
- Has a level surface.
- Is big enough to make and cure the amount of cement bricks/blocks you want to produce.
What equipment do I need?
You will need the following equipment:
- A good manual cement brick/block-making machine.
- A 65 litre builder's wheelbarrow.
- A spade.
- A sieve (this can be a strong piece of galvanised wire mesh with holes about 5mm square so the tip of your little finger can go through).
- A strong water bucket.
- Plaster sheets (such as clean dpc sheets).
What Materials Do I Need?
- PPC SUREBUILD Cement 42,5 N is ideal for small scale cement brick/block manufacture. PPC SUREBUILD 42,5 N complies with SANS 50197-1. PPC SUREBUILD Cement 42,5 N with extra strength makes more concrete than regular general purpose cements.
- Clean river sand.
- Clean water - if you can drink it, it is suitable for brick/block making.
What Mix Proportions Should I Use?
When making cement bricks , begin by determining what mix to use:
- Start by using Mix 2 (see image below).
- After 7 days test for strength.
- If greater strength is required, use Mix 1.
How Do I Mix Brick/Block Making Materials?
- Sieve out lumps, stones, twigs or foreign objects from the sand.
- Working with full wheelbarrows level to the top edges, lay the sand in a long, thin heap on a flat, clean, hard surface such as a metal sheet or a concrete slab.
3. Next add PPC SUREBUILD Cement 42,5 N with extra strength to the sand in the correct proportion (2 bags PPC SUREBUILD 42,5 N to every 8 or 10 wheelbarrows of sand, depending on the desired strength of the cement bricks ).
4. Mix PPC SUREBUILD Cement 42,5 N and sand together until uniform in colour.
5. Create a hollow in the centre and slowly add clean water while mixing.
Tips for Using Concrete in an Environmentally Responsible Manner:
• Use the recommended mix design proportions on the bag to mix the concrete.
• Use the correct strength mix to minimise waste.
• Do not add too much water – this will reduce the concrete strength.
• Mix just enough concrete (mortar or plaster) for your project.
• If you are building a house, make sure you design for optimal energy efficiency.
• Use good quality aggregates and potable water.
• Cure the concrete properly to get maximum durability.
• Do not waste water when cleaning.
• Dispose of your paper bags in a responsible manner.
• Use local raw materials - this reduces the carbon footprint of the transport component.
• Recycle building rubble where possible.
For more advice on cement bricks and blocks please ask your PPC Cement stockist or call the PPC toll-free help line: 0800 CEMENT (236 368)
Click here for this information in downloadable PDF format.